We went to our garden again after a few weeks and found this:
No real surprises; I figured after turning the soil by hand that the weeds would still try to find a way to come up. But the water! Holy Never-ending Flood Batman! Is this garden plot ever going to dry out?
Hey! Wait a minute … what happened here? This is the plot directly on our right and it didn’t used to look like that…it used to look like this —
No, not the cleared part — that’s our plot — but the weedy patch immediately to the right!
Ian has a TRACTOR! He is a fixture here, a really nice guy and will help you out by tilling your plot for a fair price. Just as long as it isn’t too wet. Oh. That might be a problem…
So, the next order of business before any tilling was going to take place was building up the beds, both in terms of fertility and height — to keep them from remaining waterlogged. So we ordered some mushroom compost and the truck dumped it here. It doesn’t look like much but it was almost 4 cubic yards (the gift of an imprecise dumping job after we’d ordered just 2 yards!)
So we shovelled and shovelled and shovelled…. AND it was HOT! Then we realized that the paths between the beds were still too wet and we needed to cover them with something that we could walk on. Straw!
Off we went to get four bales. And in no time, we had made three beds with straw paths in between.
And then …
He only did one pass since the soil was still too wet. Big honking clogs of soil were threatening to jam up his tiller.
But it sure beats hand digging! I’m so excited. We went back today and under the threatening sky planted our first crops. Tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, onions, snap peas and we’re giving colourful sweet peas a try.
More to come! Stay tuned…